Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Icons of FUN Inc.

This will be the first of a two-part series on the icons of FUN Inc. Those familiar with the Royal Magic line of products (which includes classics like the Ball Vase, Rice Bowls, and the Tel-a-Vision Box), will notice today's guest on each of their labels: Chandu the Magician.

Chandu was a creation of Morris Fox's Royal Magic Company, based in Brooklyn, NY in the 1930s. Later, Jules Traub, founder of FUN Inc. acquired Fox's company and added the magic line to his growing gags/novelty company.

These days, Chandu can be seen gracing the labels of various Royal Magic products. When not posing for pictures, he spends his free time reading minds, levitating objects, and enjoying life as only a disembodied head can.

A friend of mine once joked "If I got a tattoo of Chandu, could I get free magic from you for life?" No, but that would be really cool.

Stay with us tomorrow as noted author, publisher, and collector Gabe Fajuri of FUN Inc.'s product development team will post tomorrow. Gabe is a fountain of knowledge in all things magical, and I'm sure he'll have some excellent insights for us.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

have you ever seen the chandu films?

John Sturk said...

There are Chandu films?

Shows how much research I do before I post these things.

Anonymous said...

yeah, there were.

I wasn't aware of it until
last summer when I picked up
a 2 VHS set at a rummage sale.
"The Return of Chandu."

I haven't really watched it, dad
wasn't too keen on it.

The character page at imdb is here:
http://imdb.com/character/ch0047506/

Bela Lugosi played the character,
as did Edmund Lowe.

Anonymous said...

Hey!

I was the one with the tattoo offer!

Keith