Tuesday, January 22, 2008

FUN Facts and Tips

Hello again!

Thanks for reading the FUN Incorporated blog. I'm sure most are interested in knowing how I've been spending about 80% of my time over the last few days, click here. It's awesome.

Each week I'll try my best to include FUN FACTS or tips to improving magic sales.
In fact, many new magic shop owners ask me for advice in regards to improving magic sales. The following are some suggestions:

ROYAL MAGIC
The Royal magic line is the "bread and butter" of most magic shops. These items are generally inexpensive to purchase wholesale and have no suggested retail. I sold a lot of Royal magic when I worked at the magic shop. It was always a guaranteed sale.

Most of the Royal line is geared towards beginners. They're classics of magic and anyone can perform them. There's a reason why coloring books, ball vases, and svengali decks are some of the best selling magic tricks EVER. They're simple and fun to perform.

KEEP IT SIMPLE
At the magic shop, we loved beginners and tried our very best to get them bitten by "the magic bug". We stuck with the basics. Also, we never wanted to make our demos look too complicated.

GET TO KNOW YOUR CUSTOMER
Magic shops require plenty of customer service. Learn to classify customers and demonstrate age/skill appropriate magic. Once a customer purchased most of the beginner product, then I graduated them over to more "magician friendly" tricks.

These are tricks that involved Elmsley counts, double lifts, shuttle passes, French drops, switching, or heavy memorization. When I worked at a magic shop, we didn't want to frighten new customers with practice time.

Hope I was of some help! Feel free to leave any comments or questions.

Thumb tips and dye tubes,
-Tomas

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I was demoing magic at flemarkets, churches and monestaries I would also make sure to demo products that were included in the FM240 / FM540 magic kits. I told them "you could purchuse the magic effect seperately, but WOW, look at how much you'd save if you bought the AMAZING, made in AMERICA magic kit from Royal Magic - the most trusted name in magic for over 50 years! And it even includes a DVD so you can't get it wrong!"Sold alot of magic sets in this way. Hope this helps!

Anonymous said...

Is that what you're sending me
for the Chinese New Year?