Thursday, August 28, 2008

Standards are Standing By...

My favorite question to ask well-known magicians is: When asked to "do a trick," by a layman, what do you do?

I've found the answers fascinating, especially when the magician answering the question is known, in the fraternity, as a "creative type" who invents his own tricks and has developed a reputation for generating (and publishing, marketing or otherwise selling) new and interesting magical ideas.

The most common answers, even from these magicians are: Ambitious Card, Triumph and Twisting the Aces.

Why is it that even these, the most prolific, creative magicians resort to old chestnuts when faced with a request of this nature?

Talk amongst yourselves.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ambitious Card is my usual "do a trick" trick. I guess its because, it's "easy" being I've done it so many times I just fall into it. Visually it's powerful, you can just have fun doing different variations depending on the person and (most importantly) Blaine did it on TV and he is a "real" magician - so I get some street cred with it.