Friday, August 1, 2008

Keeping Magic Fresh

There are a lot of you, I'm sure, who have been in magic longer than I have. Even in my short time as a part-time pro performer, and now a full-time magic salesman, I have gone through phases where I was tired of magic, and needed to take a break.

I've read on other online forums about magic fatigue. You get to the point where "I just can't watch any more f'ing card tricks," or "no more magic DVDs, I'd rather watch The Office." The best advice sometimes is just put your svengali deck down, and don't pick it up for a week.

My first experience of magic fatigue occurred during my first Abbott's Get-Together in 2005. After four days of non-stop magic, I just couldn't take in anymore magic. All my cards, coins, and my chop cup went into a drawer and didn't emerge for another week.

The good news: when I picked them up again, I jumped right back into my old habits, executing passes and flourishes as fluid as ever.

So the next time you find yourself coming down with magic fatigue, just take a little break, let your brain cool down, and come back to it later.

No comments: