Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Houdini Convention

I'm always flattered when people think of me for conventions. I don't really lecture too much, maybe 10 times a year. I do even less conventions. This coming weekend should be a lot of fun! Both John Sturk and I will be attending the Houdini Convention in Manitowoc Wisconsin. We'll both be lecturing and performing in the close up and stage show. My stage show is mostly stand up comedy magic. I will do the famous balloon swallow from Geek Magic, a rope routine, a story card trick, and mind reading stunt. Normally I'd end with a cigarette manipulation act, but I'm pretty sure the theater won't let me "light up." It's getting harder and harder to perform that act.

My close up material is very strong. It's what I enjoy most. I will perform the cardiologist deck, the exchange, my handling of skinner monte, a coin routine, and a dice routine. Personally, I think my close up material is magician friendly. Also, it will be a nice little teaser for my Sunday lecture. I've been to many lectures. Yes, I like to buy new products, but I really enjoy those performers who teach routines with everyday objects. Therefore, I will try not to make my lecture a dealer demo. Although, I do have lecture notes and 5 dvds to sell. I've gotten better at lectures.

For those interested in the Houdini convention, you may want to click HERE. It will be a lot of fun. Personally, I can't wait to see my co-worker John. I think he's going to be a big hit!

No comments: