Monday, April 28, 2008

Packet Tricks Galore!


I had a surprising number of magic gigs last week, mostly strolling stuff. It felt good to be back in the saddle, performing for an appreciative audience. It also gave me a chance to have a closer look at the material I was using.

I never thought of myself as a heavy card guy, but I did take note of how many packet tricks I used, and what they had in common. They were all clear and direct effects that had automatic reset, or nearly-auto reset.

That in mind, we've got a new packet trick from Gordon Bean: Bikers. Both Gabe and I appreciated how clear and clean the effect is, and how well thought out the method is. Once you've finished performing, the effect goes back in your pocket, immediately reset.

Plus, there's a bonus handling of the trick that's just as amazing.

Here's a few other suggestions for bulletproof packet tricks:

The Royal Scam: Perhaps not on the market all that long, the accolades keep rolling in. Paul Green, this year's Close-Up Magician of the Year, recently said "I love John Bannon's thinking. Royal Scam is another fine example of his brilliance."

Color Monte: A classic of close-up: easy to do, entertaining to watch, with a twist at the end. 'Nuff said.

Danny Archer's Eye Exam: When I first saw Danny lecture on this trick at my local Ring, it quickly found a spot in my working restaurant repertoire. I love the fact that you've got two tricks in one - not only an entertaining story with the eye charts, but also a fascinating card revelation.

No comments: