Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The FUN part of my job at FUN

Selling magic at a store is fun. I worked at a shop for years, and always looked forward to demonstrating behind the counter. There is PLENTY of customer service at just about every magic store. The clerk has to not only master the product, but also have the ability to judge whether or not the trick best suits the customer.

Now at FUN Incorporated, I have to suggest magic tricks...but to store owners! Many of whom have been in business longer than i have been alive. Also, I'm sure they've seen it all. It's a little more of a challenge. After all, magic occasionally sounds better than the actual trick itself. Also, I don't want to seem like a slick car salesman over the phone.

Every once in a while there are some VERY strong tricks that don't sell too well over the phone.
For example, I just had a customer call FUN and take the time to thank me for a suggestion. It's called NAILS THRU BALLOON. The description sounds pretty bland. Basically, the magician inflates a balloon in a metal tube and then shoves nails through the tube, thru the balloon, and ultimately NOT popping the balloon. Think you've seen it? Nope. The method is uber deviant and will fool the pants off of magicians. It's so cool, the hardest part is keeping the trick a secret.

Another hidden gem is Vernet's forcing pad. Honestly, it's somewhat of a stage item and a can make a difficult store demo. Also, it's somewhat pricey. Still, I'm sure most magic nerds ( especially mentalists ) will enjoy this product. It's a very clever method for secretly switching numbers. It's made of leather and more importantly, doesn't look like a magic prop.

I really do enjoy giving my opinions on products we wholesale. We at FUN try to carry only the finest magic products available on the market today. After all, just because it's new, doesn't mean it's good.

See you next week!

No comments: