Monday, April 21, 2008

Impromptu magic

My trip over the weekend to Michigan Magic Day was fun - I got to see a lot of old friends, make some new ones, and talk about FUN Incorporated to some of the folks who may not be familiar with us.

Imagine my shock when I registered at the door, and was promptly cornered by some of the convention staff. I wasn't in trouble - actually, they wanted me to do some performances on stage that morning, just to fill out the stage competition (which only had one competitor). Reluctantly, I agreed.

The experience made me think about impromptu magic - I had 30 minutes notice before I went on stage, in front of all magicians no less! Fortunately, I had some rope and my trusty Egg Bag, then proceeded to slay them with some solid classic magic, old school (which is how I roll). But, had I not been at a magic convention where those items would be rather easily borrowed, what would I have done?

Here are a few resources we carry for those impromptu performances:

Amazing Magic with Everyday Objects DVD: This DVD will teach you how to predict the rolls of a set of dice, tear a paper napkin to shreds and make it whole again, and cause your personal information to materialize on blank business cards. Plus a lot more!

Instant Miracles: With the techniques and methods explained on Instant Miracles, you will learn classic, stunning magic tricks - easily. This broadcast quality DVD teaches you how to conjure with items found around the house, at a restaurant or even in your pocket. No special props are required.

(Almost) Impromptu Rising Card: One of my personal favorites. A chosen (and signed!) card rises from a deck the spectators have previously examined! You can even do it with a borrowed deck!

Martin Gardner's Table Magic: From the author of "The Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic" comes a very useful book on spur-of-the-moment conjuring. Highly recommended!

No comments: