Friday, April 4, 2008

Our Magic History

As I was perusing some of the magic discussions, I hit upon a thread talking about Harry Blackstone Jr. and his famous Floating Lightbulb. Having been born a little too late to sese Harry perform live, I managed to seek out a video. In Harry's hands it is absolutely beautiful - but it got me thinking about the "old-timers" we youngsters have heard about but haven't seen: names like Keller, Dante, and Herrmann.


Fortunately, we live in an age where the printed word is easy to come by. FUN Inc. carries a large line of books, many focusing on our mystical origins and the magicians who shaped our art. Here are just a few of my personal recommendations:


Blackstone: A Magician's Life. Harry Blackstone had one of the great magic shows of the 20th century. Born in Chicago in 1885, he worked steadily to build his show into the fabulous magic extravaganza that traveled the length and breadth of the North American continent. We also carry the Blackstone Book of Magic & Illusion, penned by Harry Blackstone Jr., a legendary conjuror in his own right.


Dai Vernon: A Biography: Dai Vernon turned the clandestine world of conjuring on its ear with virtuoso sleight-of-hand and a dogged pursuit for perfection. Miracles flowed from his fingertips - effortlessly. The source of his secrets? The underworld and the gamblers, hustlers and con-men that roamed back-room dens of iniquity, bunked in jail cells and walked the streets of America.


The Glorious Deception: In a biography woven from equal parts enchantment and mystery, Jim Steinmeyer unveils the secrets behind the most enigmatic performer in the history of stage magic, Chung Ling Soo, the "Marvelous Chinese Conjurer," a magician whose daring made his contemporary Houdini seem like the boy next door. Soo's infamous and suspicious onstage death in 1918 mystified his fellow magicians; he was shot while performing the famous Bullet Catch.


Hiding the Elephant: Now in paperback comes Jim Steinmeyer's astonishing chronicle of half a century of illusionary innovation, backstage chicanery, and keen competition within the world of magicians. Lauded by today's finest magicians and critics, Hiding the Elephant is a cultural history of the efforts among legendary conjurers to make things materialize, levitate, and disappear.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I need to thumb through Dan's book.
I wish he could come out to the
collector's again. But he's sure
a great guy to talk too.

Luckily at the collectors I'll
be conducting interviews for my
book. I can't wait.

Especially when I have dad and
Nick, who both worked with Papa
Blackstone at two different eras.

I wish I could have done that
during the time Jay, George and
Tommy with my dad , when they
were still alive. Glorious memories
of all of us together during
the holidays. Even Thanksgiving!

I really loved "Hiding the Elephant."
Its definitely a great
book for anyone who is starting
out in magic to get a sense of
practicality and history all in one.

It really helped when I was stuggling
with a voice for my book.
I told Jim that I learned a lot
about it and he found it amusing
that someone like me who grew up
with such great magicians actually
learned something from him.

I have a great story about Jr.
but I'll save that for another
time.

Mike Solinas Blog said...

A few decades ago, had VERY good seats for Harry Blackstone Jr. He floated a light bulb out over the audience. I mean - right over the audience. If I had stood up, I could have snatched it right out of the air. Anyone around me, or more forward, could have.

No one did. No one thought of trying. Harry Jr. had such presence, and the effect was so wonderful, you just froze there in your seats.

Anonymous said...

Jr had a way to command a audience.
this was due to the fact he was
a fantastic speaker and had a great
voice. No doubt that his broadcasting
time helped.

I was always jealous that he could
speak Chinese though.