Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Lecture Ettiquette

I'm pleased to report that my lecture was well received. I heard positive feedback from many of the attendees. One man in particular said he appreciated the energy with which I performed.

However, there were a few hiccups during the lecture, although not necessarily my fault. It was certainly a different experience for me, to be giving a lecture instead of watching one. So here are a few simple lecture faux pas that you should try to avoid.

1) Be polite to the lecturer, even if you know them well, and especially if you don't.
I know that friends like to razz one another while performing, especially in a magician-friendly setting like a lecture, but it is rather disturbing to the lecturer and others if you try to interrupt with a joke or quip. A lecture is no place to start a heckling battle, with your buddy, no matter how funny you think it might be.

What's worse than friends heckling each other, is a complete stranger. The lecturer has gone through a lot of trouble to put together his presentation. All they really want is a polite audience to present it to.

2) Minimize disturbances.
Turn off your friggin' cell phone. If you have to take the call, make your way out of the room, so as not to disturb others. Or else, face the ire of the lecturer and other attendees.

3) Bring a notebook.
It's always a good idea to take notes. Something brilliant might be said in response to a question that's not in the lecture notes. Besides, you'd never attend a lecture in school without taking notes, would you?

4) Buy the lecture notes.
I'm not just saying it to sell my own stuff. But you have to remember that when magicians are asked to lecture or work a convention, they are working for significantly less than their normal fee. Purchasing their product gives them a chance to recoup some of their usual fees, as well as giving you a memento of your lecture experience.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

my dad is a heckler when the magician is really bad. like really bad. but i understand he's got the right to get away with it.

the wizards club is a fine club,
and is the nations oldest.
i'm glad it all went well.

John Sturk said...

But only when the magician is bad, right?

I thought I was pretty good, if I do say so myself.

I supposed it the magician is bad (really really bad) you must heckle them. That's how they know they are bad and learn to improve, right?

Anonymous said...

when your good, you know your
good. people tell you.

when people are obnoxious, its
not heckling its being rude
for no reason.

When you haven't done your best,
you know you didn't, but that
doesn't mean your bad. People
don't heckle in that case.

People heckle not for improvement,
but to get you off the stage.

I think a heckle is in place
of the cane.

We all have room to improve.

I'm sure you did a fine job.
As long as you feel good.

:)

Anonymous said...

Here's another tip for lecture audience members:

Act like the kind of audience you would want.

Meaning ...
Pay attention.

Don't slouch.

Applaud freely, recognizing that a lecture is an odd format in which to present entertainment so meet the guy at least half-way.

Don't do magic yourself -- I recently had a discussion with a lecture friend of mine who told me that a well-known cardman sat in the back of his audience showing another guy a trick.

Ask intelligent questions.

Ask relevant questions -- if a guy is teaching a card trick, don't interrupt to ask about a coin trick of his you're working on.

End of rant