Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Bits of business at the register...

With April fool's day around the corner, I'm sure class clowns and practical jokers of all ages will be heading over to their local magic/trick shop.

Most of our magic customers carry gag novelties. In fact, at the shop where I worked, practical jokes were always the bread and butter...along with ROYAL/beginner magic. The whopee cushions, hand buzzers, fake vomit, and dollar snatchers sold themselves. I can't even count the number of times where after a wonderful magic demo, the kid said,"how much is a fart whistle." Come to think of it, anything with the word "fart" usually sold well.

Just recently I spoke with a shop owner who told me they have a lot of fun with ICKLE PICKLE'S counterfeit detector. He leaves it at the register and waits for patrons to put their money in the quirky contraption. Basically, it's a chinsy looking gizmo with a sticker that says counterfeit detector. When the customer's place their bill in the contraption, it apparently shreds their bill.

I've tried this out and it is a VERY convincing illusion. The shop owner said the expressions on his customer's faces are priceless. Especially when he reaches into the machine and retrieves mounds of shredded money (which you can purchase at most hobby shops for next to nothing). Of course the bill is unharmed, but it's a nice little gag to play. The shredded money addition is an excellent little "touch". We've sold plenty of counterfeit detectors. Stock them high, watch them fly.

I also know a magic shop owner who surprises his customers by dropping a phony spider onto the backs of their hands. The spider is reeled down on a string from the ceiling. I've actually seen this happen. It was fun to watch them jump. Also, the customers usually seemed amused. The shop owner made sure to choose his victims wisely.

One of the perks of my job here at FUN is that I get to chat with shop owners. Many of my customers have wonderful senses of humor. My next blog is on April fools!

No comments: