Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Traveling with your Tricks

When you head off to a gig, how to you carry your props?

I started out with a large silver briefcase. The case was actually a hard shell laptop case. I removed the foam innards so I could accommodate my 10" linking rings and various other large props when I did larger shows like kids parties or a parlor show.

I found, however, that most of my time was spent performing in close-up and strolling situations. I started to wonder, if I only needed half the space in the briefcase to carry my props, couldn't I get a smaller bag?

The answer was "of course!" I ended up getting a doctor's bag, perfect for carrying my close-up equipment - things like cards, my 5" linking rings, and my chop cup. Plus, the doctor's bag looks classy. I arrived for one show last winter wearing a suit, coat, and fedora hat while holding my doctor's bag. The client took a look at me, and said "Wow, you look like the guy from The Exorcist!"

I laughed, and decided I'd keep the look.

I have found what works for me - it's all about being adaptable. How have you adapted your show for travel? Leave a comment, and let us know.

No comments: