Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Information Overload!

This past 4th of July weekend was very relaxing! I got to sit at home a take the time to watch magic DVDs I purchased MONTHS ago. Honestly, I have a very cool job at FUN Incorporated. Not only do I get to talk "magic" all day, but I also get a chance to see all the new products before most magicians do. A magician's dream come true!

Many would think that with so much magical information/resources at my fingertips, I'd be a pretty good magician. Well...maybe. Sometimes too much access can be a problem. Around 5-6 years ago, when I wasn't so darn busy (with FUN Incorporated, performances, and family), I would purchase ONE book and learn just about every trick from the book. Really!

I would watch a DVD and try out EVERY trick. I'd practice for hours. Nowadays I still practice, but I lack focus. I don't know where to begin! I have 100's of books, lecture notes, and tricks I haven't even touched! I suspect that most busy grown ups have this problem. I know of a Chicago magician who has EVERY book, DVD, VHS, and lecture note available. Surprisingly you'd think he'd have better chops. He doesn't take the time to FOCUS on a particular trick. Personally, I think it's better to perform 1 trick flawlessly than fumble through five tricks. Unfortunately I can't stop from buying new stuff.

However, I will not perform the tricks until I have mastered them (not only sleights, but patter). After 1,000's of magic shows throughout the years, I'm still perfecting my act. For beginning magical people (who lack funds), I always recommend The Mark Wilson Course in Magic. It's the best bang for your buck. There are 100's of tricks in this publication, all of which you want to master. It's clearly written and loaded with excellent illustrations. This book will make you a magician.

No comments: