Tuesday, February 5, 2008

The Pros and Cons of Magic Clubs

I can wholly attribute my rapid rise in the world of magic to a small group of people in my home state of Michigan: IBM Ring 54, Doug Dean Ring: The Magicians' Guild of Lansing.

Because of the camaraderie of my fellow Ring members, I was motivated to continue on in magic, pushing me to learn and practice, and later to compete, all the while creating some meaningful, lasting friendships.

But I also know that not everyone can claim as life-changing an experience as I can. In fact, some people downright hate magic clubs, often with good reason. Things can become more about the politics of running a magic club, and less about the magic.

All too often, I hear clubs who lament the lack of participation by most members, the drop in attendance, and fewer new, young members to perpetuate the club's existence. To attract new, young members, clubs need to offer them a reason to come. Meetings should be organized to create interaction among older, more experienced members and the new members who are eager to learn.

Avoiding the problem doesn't solve it. For members to join a club, then never make any attempt at fixing it while complaining the while accomplishes nothing in the long run.

If you see your club heading down a path you don’t think it should, you should make it known in a diplomatic way. Get involved, step up. Run for an officer position. Bylaws and parliamentary procedure are only tools used at meetings to make them run orderly. The original purpose of the meeting, to learn and perform, must always remain forefront.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't use hate when it
comes to clubs.
because in the end, magicians
like to magish with others.
(musicians like to do the same
as all artists).

my dad was an original member
of the round table and he met
lots of wonderful magicians
that became life long friends
of his (and my moms).

he was told my Frances Marshall
that hanging around clubs isn't
going to make him a magician.

so he never became a member of
magician clubs like the IBM or
SAM and other alike. there was
no point because he was always
on the road.

so i wouldn't say hate, but some
would find it a waste of time.

now that he can no longer perform,
and travel only in short trips...
when the MCA is in town, (thanks
to the wonderful Gabe) we will
go down to see our great friends,
catch up and have some laughs.

Anonymous said...

I quit going to my local clubs about a year ago. (And I hear that since I left, it's gotten worse)

There are a small handful of people that completely annoy me and are horrible for the magic community. (I'm not being mean, they think they know whats best, even when people tell them they're wrong)

And all the people I really enjoy hanging out with, I can do with out the club setting.

I'm a full-time pro, and I love to encourage people and help them. I'm a regular attender of our local SYM (I'm a product of the SYM) and I love the kids. (There's an 11 year old, that's already at my level, and knows the Tarbel Course from cover to cover, can do many complicated slights, he blows me away, I'm often asking him for advice) The kids are great and always want to learn new stuff. After the SYM meetings, I hang around, talk to the parents, do little sessions of MY OWN material with the kids. It's fun.

The adults are just not the same. It's all about politics. (I'll go downstairs and hang out at the counter until the business is done) I just DON'T CARE about the politics, let see some magic. (And I was Pres, for one year) Let's do a show. Let's have some fun. Isn't that what it's all about, ENTERTAINING PEOPLE. If only they knew that. (I've tried telling them, only the 3 pros get it)

In my club, usually 3-4 people perform, I'm tired of always being one of those 3-4. I want more. I don't care if you're a hobbyist, or an amature (Simon Aronson, John Bannon, Alex Elmsley are all amatures) or a newbie. I've been fooled by some guys that were new. Some of the most basic things can fool the most experienced.

So I encourage everyone, go make a difference in your club. Get off your duff, make your business meetings shorter, and do some magic. Go meet at a restaurant and entertain people there. (We would eat either before of after the meeting, and I would usually start performing, then others would follow)

Make your club the best. Bring BACK THE MAGIC!!!