Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Magic Should Fit the Customer

I lead a double life; FUN Incorporated customer service superstar by day, professional magical handsome person by night. I have been performing my magic act for years. I'm a regular at Chicago nightclubs, restaurants, family and corporate events. I even give young aspiring magicians private magic lessons.

Magic lessons are always fun. I usually ask the person (adult or child) what he or she wants to learn. I gather the appropriate information, and make judgments as to what their skill level is.

Of course I want repeat business, so I usually teach magic I know my student can perform. Last night, I gave a private magic lesson to a 9-year-old boy. Apparently he purchased hundreds of dollars worth of magic and can't perform ANY of the tricks.Here are the tricks he purchased:
1. The Raven
2. Pencil through a quarter
3. Floating Dollar Bill
4. Hummer card
5. Appearing cane
6. Loops

A strong selection of magic, to be sure, so I tried my best to teach simple routines with these tricks. I'm sure most would agree these tricks are a little too advanced for the average 9-year-old, but this 9-year-old had a learning disability. His parents told me they purchased the magic from a local magic store. I was disappointed; not in the student or the parents, but in the shop.

After 20 minutes of struggling with the appearing cane (probably the simplest of the 6 tricks), I spoke with his parents in regards to their magic purchases. The tricks were strong, but whoever sold/demonstrated the magic, didn't take into consideration the end user. These tricks require plenty of practice; too much effort for a child with a learning disability. I then taught him several easy impromptu effects he could perform anytime, anywhere. The parents were greatly impressed.

Had I worked at this shop, I would have chosen beginner magic for this 9-year-old boy, effects I knew he could perform, like the ROYAL MAGIC line. Tricks like the Ball Vase, Tree Card Monte, Penetration Frame, Hypnotic Choice, and the Coloring Book would have been perfect for the situation.

I don't think the parents would ever step foot in that magic shop again, which is unfortunate, because it reflects poorly on magic shops in general. The demonstrator may have gotten the sale, but lost any future repeat business. A magic shop clerk's job should be to strengthen an interest in magic, not to frustrate a curious beginner.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi..
i have bought hummer card, lucifer's fire wallet, stripper deck, brainwave deck, invisible deck and haunted deck. but none of it, i don't even know how to perform. I studied, try and try and keep trying from the manual but still fail.
I am still confuse about the step by step how to setup the hummer card, lucifer's wallet and the haunted deck.