Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The Creative Process

I often thought of myself as a creative person. Maybe not necessarily handy, but creative. When it came to magic, I usually stick to the classics (cups and balls, linking rings, egg bag) and rely on my personality and humor to make the routine unique.

Working here at FUN gave me a whole new perspective on creating new magic. Ideas can come from anywhere, and usually when you least expect it. People come up with great ideas all the time; it's a precious few who act on it.

Because we have a relatively small staff compared to the number of products and ideas that are sent to us, sometimes things get pushed to the back burner when more pressing matters present themselves.

We've had plans to begin manufacturing an effect from Pat Page for a few years now, but it just kinda got pushed back and back. Recently, I was assigned to "figure out how to make these." I don't want to discuss the effect too much, since we will release it eventually. Identifying the problems with the current apparatus, I first devised a solution, then reproduced the apparatus using the materials we will eventually use in production.

What I liked about working on this project was knowing that I was able to take an idea, then turn it into reality.

How many of your ideas have you put into practice? Do you take time to make gaffs or gimmicks?

To start being a creative magician, I started keeping a "magic notebook." I keep notes from lectures I've attended, trick lists for shows I've done, and other ideas that pop into my head. Whenever I have a show (say, a birthday party) coming up that maybe I haven't done in a while, I can go back to see what notes I made for the last birthday party I did, and duplicate or improve on it.

Try starting your own magic notebook, and see what ideas you can make happen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post. I have been keeping a lecture notebook for some time now. It is frankly stupid to me for people to go to lectures and not take notes. You would fail all of your tests in college if you didn't have notes from the lecture to go back through and review. So how can we expect to recall much from a magic lecture we attended 3 years ago? Plus, it's fun to go back and get ideas from old lectures.

Keep up the great posts - this is one of my favorite magic blogs.

Anonymous said...

I know with my dad he would
keep things within his head.
Never writing anything down.
Unless he had hit a rough
spot and worked it out on
scrap paper.

I think that is where my
processing comes in.

I know from my experience,
i write lyrics down but
never the music. i think
about the music and until
i get to the piano i work
it out. its a process i
can't really explain.

I can't really break either.