Friday, May 30, 2008

Artist Spotlight: Ross Johnson

Here's an interview I did earlier this week with mentalist Ross Johnson, star of FUN Inc's Simply Psychic DVD. Ross is an accomplished performer with over 20 years of experience as a psychic entertainer. In that time, he has amazed, entertained and delighted thousands of people from hundreds of the top corporations in America.

Q: How did you get interested in magic?

RJ: I met Eugene Burger at a youth conference back in 1963. His magic piqued my interest. Later, I came back to Chicago after 2 years in college. I worked for both Tom Palmer and Tony Andruzzi, then at Magic Inc. for a few years.

Q: When did you decide to switch from magic to mentalism?

RJ: When I first made the switch, the interest was piqued from the Abbott Get-Together. One of the performers was a two-person mindreading act. It really intrigued me, because the reaction of “Is it real or fake?” was very different from reactions the other magicians were getting. Since I didn’t have anybody who wanted to be my assistant, I developed a one-person act.

Q: How did you go from a full-time teaching career to a full-time performing career?

RJ: It was a gradual transition. When in college, I was a speech and education major, so I used my interests in performing. Eventually, I had to leave my joy at the magic shop and get obtain gainful employment somewhere, so I ended up in the Chicago Public Schools. Being newly married, I had to supplement my income somehow, so I did a lot of performances, for service organizations and private events. Then, I get involved in corporate work, and after almost 20 years of teaching, I decided to pursue it full-time.

Q: Do you think there is a distinction between mentalism and mental magic?

RJ: I think there is a distinction. Mental magic is usually, effect-wise, stronger or unbelievable. For example, if I asked someone to think of a number, and reveal that, as opposed to asking someone to think of a license number on a car. Mentalism is simpler and little more direct; it isn’t as contrived as mental magic.

Q: What do you think about using a disclaimer to explicitly tell your audience you don’t have real psychic powers?

RJ: I use a disclaimer if I think it’ll help create a rapport with the audience. I never make claims that I’m something I’m not. It’s usually in the guise of a humorous comment, making it clear I’m not a prophet or maintain a psychic hotline. I don’t like to step on anyone’s spiritual toes.

Q: Aside from “Simply Psychic,” what resources would you recommend to the budding mentalist?

RJ: Book-wise, there are major texts. 13 Steps to Mentalism is a good start, although the Tarbell Course is a bit more basic. Then, the Anneman Jinx series is very good. Many of the effects from that magazine have been put into a book called Practical Mental Effects, but much of the gold was removed. I recommend going back to the original pamphlets. There are a lot of newer resources that are a bit more evolved, I don’t think they cover the basics.

View the trailer for Simply Psychic

No comments: