Tuesday, November 18, 2008

My convention weekend

Both Gabe and I attended conventions this weekend, him in Boston for Collector's and me in Detroit for the Motor City Close-Up Convention.

I always enjoy attending conventions, and this one was no exception. The performers were all outstanding, but it's the late-night sessioning that really makes this convention unique for me.

I was fortunate to find myself chatting with Geoff Williams, a brilliant comedy magician from Minnesota. He had observed a short set I performed in the morning where I did a Rising Card effect (with a borrowed deck!) and a Water Suspension. The Rising Card effect was presented with some humor and comedy, and the Water Suspension was presented with a little more mysticism and wonder. I had felt some trepidation when I came up with the Water Suspension presentation, because it did seem to be at odds with all the other humorous routines I normally perform.

Geoff told me he noticed that inconsistency in my character. He offered some great advice about diagramming your persona's character traits, and if an effect doesn't fit in, then it should be cut.

All this goes back to what I wrote about last week, when I discussed the value of input from more experienced performers. They know what works and what doesn't, and the best way to learn is from those who have been there before you.

I'll take Geoff's advice and work on this presentation, and as I do, I'll have a better understanding of what it takes to make my character unique. After all good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment.

No comments: